Autopsy report: Sisters found dead in Seychelles had fluid in their lungs

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ANSE BOILEAU, Seychelles -- We now have autopsy results on two American woman, one with ties to the Denver area, who were found dead at a luxury resort in the Seychelles, but the mystery of their deaths has not been solved.

Sisters Annie and Robin Korkki were found unresponsive in their room on the African island. A doctor pronounced them dead at the Maia Luxury Resort & Spa on Sept. 22.

The autopsy report states the women died from acute pulmonary edema, or fluid in their lungs, The Seychelles News Agency reported.

"In most cases, heart problems cause pulmonary edema. But fluid can accumulate for other reasons, including pneumonia, exposure to certain toxins and medications, trauma to the chest wall, and exercising or living at high elevations," the Mayo Clinic website states.

Robin and Annie Korkki

Robin and Annie Korkki

There were no signs of violence, officials said.

Both women were from Minnesota, but Annie Korkki, 38, worked for JP Morgan Chase in Denver. Her sister, Robin, was 42 and lived in Chicago.

A newspaper in the Seychelles said hotel staff helped the women to their room after a night of drinking. The newspaper also said police confiscated medication from the women's room.

Their family in Minnesota is trying to raise money to bring their bodies home while trying to figure out how they died.

The victims' brother, Chris Korkki, told the Star Tribune that his mother and brother have traveled to the Seychelles to look for answers.